[PD] PD "Projector", Executables or similar

Marc Lavallée odradek at videotron.ca
Sat Dec 20 20:16:29 CET 2003

Richard Skelton wrote:

> > I'm looking for something suitable to use in developing generative
> > audio-visual pieces that I can distribute as CDROMs.

You could go Linux and distribute your project as a "live cd", using
Knoppix (based on Debian). But it would work only on PCs and you need to
know your Linux.

Here's an interesting article about Knoppix remastering:
http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2003/11/20/knoppix.html
And the HOWTO:
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixRemasteringHowto

Probably the easiest (and smallest) Knoppix derivative to start with:
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

For fullscreen support, the ratpoison window manager is great:
http://ratpoison.sf.net/

The nice thing about this solution is that you don't need to care much
about the configuration of the target PC, at least for a while, and as
long as your work doesn't require an OpenGL accelerated card (because of
all those proprietary drivers). It's perfect for public kiosks and
installations, without much technical support.  It can be installed to run
directly from a hard drive. The best part is that it's free (as in
software), so no problem with distribution.

--
Marc