[PD] Re: .pdrc on osx:

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Dec 21 19:07:58 CET 2003

Hallo,
sara at x-i.net hat gesagt: // sara at x-i.net wrote:

> My pd.command and my .pdrc look now like this:
>
> #!/bin/sh

"#!/bin/sh" only should be in pd.command, not in .pdrc.

> -path /usr/local/lib/pd/pd_pidip_osx/abstractions
> -path /usr/local/lib/pd/extra:/usr/local/lib/pd/pdp_pidip_osx/abstractions
> -lib /usr/local/lib/pd/pdp_pidip_osx/pdp
> -verbose
>

> >> try listing the content of /usr/local/lib/pd in a terminal with
> >> ls -l
> >> wich prints everything in a nice list on your screen, plus two rows of
> >> ownership
> >> comments. tell me what you get.
> I know that i'm not wheel, i'm Sara ;) or Staff(me). But how did these
> permissions wind up there?
> And; with chmod can i also change the permissions of a directory and its
> contents. [in my osx/unix book in front of me, i don't see this option]

The "permission denied" error you get has nothing do do with read or
write permissions, but with executable permission.

Files, that start with the shebang #! try to run the command that is
following the shebang. In your pd.command this is "/bin/sh/"

This command then takes over execution of the rest of the file. There
are other shebang commands possible, for example /usr/bin/perl or
/bin/make, but that isn't important here.

pd.command runs /bin/sh and the rest of the file is fed to /bin/sh.

/bin/sh or shortly sh is a shell, that now tries to interpret and
execute the following lines in pd.command

If it finds a file, that cannot be executed, it reports: "permission
denied".

So please try the following:

1) Put only commands that can actually run under sh in pd.command
after the first line.

2) put Pd options in .pdrc

2a) put all folders, where pd should look for libraries, externals etc.
after a "-path" in .pdrc, sepearated by ":" like:
  -path /usr/local/pd:/usr/local/pd/externs
(Just an example path!)

2b) put libraries to load (Gem, etc) after a "-lib" in .pdrc,
excluding the .pd_darwin suffix like:
 -lib Gem:pdp

That's about it.

ciao