[PD] cvs newbie

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Dec 23 10:52:29 CET 2003

Hallo,
huolong at arcor.de hat gesagt: // huolong at arcor.de wrote:

> i managed to compile pd from CVS. was easier than i thought !
> (this was the very first time i used CVS)
>
> now my question:
>
> when there are some new features in the CVS version of pd, can i just get the sources again with:
>
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data co pd

It's much easier: Just use "cvs update" in your checkout directory.
You might get some messages about merged changes or such, that's why I
normally keep two trees of cvs: One to compile and make minor local
changes, the other for the upstream versions.

> and compile it again ?
>
> or do i have to 'deinstall' the old compiled pd first...
> (actually i've newer compiled pd twice, i used to update my linux more often :)

After the update, just "./configure && make && make install" it again.
No need to deinstall the old version (normally).

> btw. i have my sources in '/usr/local/src', is this the linux way ?

You can put it whereever you like, as long as you can remember, where
you've put it. But wait, there's "locate" so you don't even need that. ;)

> (why do i ask, i had to chmod this folder before the users could use it)

That's because normally only root can write below /usr. I tend to
unpack Pd sources in my home directory like ~/src/pd/... because of
that. (I "su" to root before doing a "make install" there.)

ciao