[PD] gui makes noises / threaded gui

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Mon Dec 29 02:09:43 CET 2003

Hi Tim,

> i've got a problem with gui objects in devel_0_37.
> when i move the mouse across some of the gui objects (sliders, grid ...)
> i can hear some clicks ... pd runs in realtime mode, i reniced pd-gui to
> 19, but still i hear some clicks...

Seems like you are doing the right things: lite-duty window manager [you
are using windowmaker, correct?], -rt flag, etc.

I don't have any such problems, and I am using Pd version 0.37.1 devel
with Fluxbox windowmanager under Gentoo on a laptop. I do notice that if
I have another app running that does something with the screen space
[the animations played in the Gkrellm2 system monitor, for example],
then I get periodic interruptions of sound. However, I can use grids,
sliders, and even open up subpatches and drag them around without fear
of boo-boos.

So what is the differences between my system and yours? It could have
something to do with PCI interrupts, I suppose. Where is your sound card
and where is your video card in regards to IRQ assignments? Are you on a
desktop or a laptop? What is your sound card and what is your video
card? Can you reassign IRQs in the BIOS, or failing that, try the
card-rearrangement-voodoo-dance? Low-latency and/or preemptive kernel
patches? Kernel version? Need...more...information.... ;-)

best,
D.
--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl