[PD] (Facts Please !) a mac or pc with Linux for PD

cgc at humboldtblvd.com cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Sun Dec 14 19:18:35 CET 2003

Quoting CK <x at meta.lo-res.org>:

> a lot of programs have intel assembly optimizations but not altivec.
>
> and of course linux runs a lot faster than osx.

That's completely contradictory information, and the latter statement is
patently false.  Perhaps you meant to say that some Linux window managers draw
windows faster on your old powerbook compared to OSX on the same hardware?  OSX
takes more and better advantage of available hardware resources like SIMD and 3D
acceleration than any consumer OS I've ever seen.  Run GEM on a G4 in Linux then
OSX, the performance disparity will be huge, and not in favor of Linux.  The
reason why PPC Linux isn't a smart choice on recent Macs isn't because they are
both Unix based OSes - it's due to the fact that you basically throw away nearly
all the hardware advantages you paid for when buying the Mac!

cgc