[PD] PD Crashes Jack/ALSA/Hammerfall DSP was: gui makes noises / threaded gui

luigi rensinghoff luigi_r001 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 1 04:48:49 CET 2004

--- Yves Degoyon <ydegoyon at free.fr> wrote:

> Tim Blechmann wrote:
>
> >hi all
> >
> >i've got a problem with gui objects in devel_0_37.
> >when i move the mouse across some of the gui
> objects (sliders, grid ...)
> >i can hear some clicks ... pd runs in realtime
> mode, i reniced pd-gui to
> >19, but still i hear some clicks...
> >
> >i had similar problems with 0.36, but solved them
> using yves degoyons's
> >patch ... is there a similar patch for 0.37?
> >
> mm, this patch has been ported "as is" to pd-0.37,
> but i must warn you thet  it might crush the
> evolutions and fixes
> from 0.36 -> 0.37 because it was not a merge,
> just a copy of those files, i know, could have done
> it better ...
>
> well, here it is, and if you feel like doing the
> merge,
> you'll be welcome.
>
> guenter also wanted to integrate this patch in
> 0.37-devel,
> pero no sé ..
>
> ciaaooo,
> sevy

Ok, i have a question to the list !

So it sounds like i have a similar problem:

This is my setup:

Planet CCRMA kernel 2.23 - ReDHat 8 Hammerfall DSP +
Multiface PD 0.37

It all runs......so far, but now PD crashes - i still
didi not find out when exactly.

I reinstalled  RedHat8 with Planet CCRMA because i had
the same clicks described above ! And i thought Planet
CCRMA would solve that.......It did only partially,
well, and now it crashes.......Bad Deal, inst it !

So .... I am a "professional user" in so far that i
was used to Macs before... I think PD is a great
system and i love the "Open Source" Idea
but...........

The system like that is unusable.....The Clicks are,
as far as i believe unacceptable and you have to be a
HArdCore Hacker to apply all those patches, and tuning
things........

I thought everything you can do to  avoid clicks is
included in Planet CCRMA, but it does not look like
that .....

So i dont want to complain, i just wonder if you on
this list just see it in a different way......

An Audio system with this high probability of Clicks
is actualy "not working".

Whats the use of a realtime-system if i cannot use the
mouse because it produces clicks ???

Or maybe its just the configuration....

So here is my question:

Does anybody have a running system (it means, no
clicks, no crashes, stable) with PD 0.37, Jack, ALSA,
Multiface, Hammerfall DSP ????

What can i still optimize, check if sthg is wrong ???

Thanks a lot

Regards

Luigi