[PD] PD "Projector", Executables or similar

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Jan 2 18:55:18 CET 2004

Hallo,
Richard Skelton hat gesagt: // Richard Skelton wrote:

> Thanks for your reply Ben.
>
> I don't know whether you're familiar with Macromedia Director, but it allows
> you to create fairly self-contained audio visual pieces that can be
> distributed as windows ".exe" applications on CDROM.

Which is totally useless unless you control which operating system
your target audience runs.

> I'm looking to move onto something more powerful, whilst retaining the
> ability to create and distribute something on CD that is hassle free for the
> end-user.

I'm sure that distributing Pd on CD is more hassle free than any
Shockwave CD I had the pleasure of not being able to run on my Linux
or a OS-X system.

> I became interested in PD, as it looks like you can build an audio engine
> from the ground up, but I haven't read anything to say that patches can be
> compiled into a form that is executable on target machines that don't have
> PD installed.

Patches cannot be compiled into standalone applications, period. Max
patches can with some tricks, Pd patches cannot. (Until someone sees
the need to change that).

Patches do however run on Pd and Pd does run on many popular
platforms. You don't need to have Pd "installed" to run a patch, just
write a run.sh, run.bat or run.command file that calls a Pd executably
on CD with your patch as startup argument. It really is that simple.

I somehow do not see *why* Pd patches should be compiled into an
executable. What's wrong with text files? The whole world wide web is
founded on text files? Why would anyone want to have a compiled web
page that only runs on Windows?

Okay, Microsoft does want and did that, but who cares?

(Sorry if I sound a bit upset but: I'm sharing and opening up all my
patches and I somehow would feel quite betrayed if compiled Pd patches
would allow others to not share theirs when distributing them.)

ciao