[PD] digi, motu or rme?

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Sat Jan 3 16:04:34 CET 2004

Sam, Shintaro,

On Friday, January 2, 2004, at 09:59 PM, Sam Ferguson wrote:

> Has anyone got a good working 8in 8out system out there? I get the
> impression that only the rme boxes are good with PD.

I have been using my HDSP with PD for a while now, and I am fairly happy
with it [finally!]. I have a PCI card for the desktop [running Red Hat
9/Planet CCRMA] and a PCMCIA card for the laptop [running Gentoo]. Both
can use the Multiface [but not @ same time!]

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 22:59:59 +0100, Shintaro Miyazaki
> I am looking for a resonable audiointerface with 8 in/outs.
> There is the Motu 828mkII or RME Hammerfall Multiface or the Digi 002
> Rack.
> Which one would you recommend (with PD?)?

The Hammerfall is really quite nice, and I run it with PD all the time,
for HD recording, live sets and installation prototyping. Probably under
OSX you will have less initial difficulties than with Linux [dunno, tho,
cause I haven't actually tried it!].

On another note, Core-Sound has a Flash card-based multichannel
soundcard [designed for PDAs] which I was considering for my backup
laptop [a Pismo Powerbook running Gentoo]. You could use a
Flash-to-PCMCIA adaptor and whatever portable AD/DA converter you like,
and it could be *maybe* a bit less than a HDSP. The PDAudio-CF itself is
$499.

http://www.core-sound.com/HighResRecorderNews.html

You will have to research a complete AD/DA converter yourself... the
package which Core-Sound offers has a AD converter only. Could be
totally OT for your needs, but I also dream of having a PDA for field
recording someday...

Good luck,
D.

--