[PD] comport speeds

Sukandar Kartadinata sk at glui.de
Wed Jan 7 03:30:23 CET 2004

Hi,
I'm currently trying to use the 'comport' object to receive data from a
microcontroller at a speed of 115200baud. However as soon as I send
data, the GUI pretty much freezes - some number boxes still update, but
all interactivity with GUI objects is lost.

Has anyone experienced this behaviour before ?
Is the baudrate simply too high ?
(I'm on a Athlon 1GHz/Win2000)

I know serial FIFOs are usually rather small, I think 16 bytes in this
case, so that with 115200baud Windows is interrupted at 115200/(8*16) =
900Hz or about every millisecond. But can this have such a large impact
on system responsiveness?

I also tried to change the polling interval with the 'pollintervall'
message but it didn't seem to change much. Looking at comport's source
code it seems to me that comport_tick() seems to reschedule itself
always at 1ms intervals no matter what the value x->x_deltime is. Not
sure though.

I thought of moving my data parsing code into an external object that
reads from the COM port directly, but I fear it's a more general
problem so I'd welcome your input.

Thanks,
Sukandar