[PD] writesf~ bug?

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Wed Jan 7 10:21:33 CET 2004

hi Jorge,

Jorge Cardoso wrote:
> When I use writesf~ to save a file in 'au' format (using the -nextstep flag) the resulting
> file is malformed (I can't open it with any sound program).
> After a little inspection to the generated file it seems to me that the file is always
> big-indian encoded (it also seems that the -little/-big flags have no effect, the file is

indeed (except that I got them always little-endian, i.e. "dns.").

Looks like soundfiler_writeargparse() is broken:  the `logic' of
its .snd file forming part is to have machine-endian as default,
unless for a -big or -little flags both picking a secondary
default, which is little-endian.

The code has not been corrected, since probably nobody uses
next/sun format anymore, while aiff and wav's endiannes is fixed.

Btw... Miller -- are not you going to use an external sound file
library (libsndfile, whatever) eventually, are you?  If not, would
not you be willing to expose some of d_soudfile.c calls, would you?

> Ps: I sent this message to the pd-dev list, but it seems that that list is kind of dead so I'm re-posting it here...

very much alive (asleep perhaps, intoxicated...)