[PD] Re: [PD-announce] k_guile v0.0.1

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Sat Jan 10 17:34:19 CET 2004

On Monday 05 January 2004 12:10, Michal Seta wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 06:15, Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen wrote:
> > k_guile is a guile PD external.
>
> wow.  cool.  Common Music within pd is now possible...

Yes, very nice. I think this officially obsoletes my pd_scheme library. (It
was built on Scheme In One Day, which isn't a full-featured standard Scheme).

Kjetil, I see you took a different approach than I did, one that is a bit
simpler. In my case a single interpreter is loaded as a library, which loads
scheme source code that defines various PD objects that can be instantiated.
These objects can then communicate with eachother using scheme.

Your approach definitely has the advantage of simplicity though, and in
practice it may not be any less powerfull.

For running something like Common Music (Michal, have you tried it yet?) it
would probably be nice to be able to run scheme in a seperate thread, so that
long computations and garbage collection don't cause dropouts. But I think
that running this external in a second PD connected to the primary one with
netsend and netreceive should work, right?

In any case, I'm looking forward to trying this external. Thanks!

Larry Troxler