[PD] Re: [PD-announce] k_guile v0.0.1

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Sun Jan 11 11:45:00 CET 2004

Severe case of Insomnia here - good morning Europe. Wait no, actually it's
almost time for lunch for you guys. I don't know what brought this on, but I
suspect the peperoni and anchovy pizza I had last night. grrrr. Now it will
be getting light out soon. I guess my Sunday isn't going to be very
productive, huh?

On Sunday 11 January 2004 05:02, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Could anyone give some quick pointers on how to install Common Music
> for guile (or at all) on Linux? Besides reading the SICP book I'm an
> Lisp idiot and I even use Vim, not Emacs, so any pointers would be
> welcome...
>
> ciao

I still haven't installed the scheme version of Common Music, but have played
extensively with the Common Lisp version over the years, and have come to
regard the Common Lisp language quite highly, especially for an interactive
situation like music. In effect, Lisp lets you define your own language for
the situation at hand. In that respect I suppose it's more similar to
languages like Forth, than it is to C/C++. I think it has greatly suffered
from misconceptions, like it's interpreted and therefore slow (not true -
lisp is incremementally compiled these days) and the like. The other big
problem is that CL doesn't have a lot of standard libraries to do GUI stuff
and the like. It's a shame, because I think the language itself is fantastic,
and apparently I'm not the only one, because a lot of bright minds seem to be
drawn to Lisp.

Unfortunately, Scheme isn't quite the be-all-and-end-all of languages that
Common Lisp is, but I have to have faith :-) But I think I need to try to
sleep for a while before installing it.

Did you have specific questions about CM? I would think that there would be a
lot of help on CCRMA - Rick Taube seems usually to be pretty good about
installation instructions.

Do take the time to play with Lisp. As a long time C/C++ programmer, it really
opened my mind a bit. Again, unfortunately, with PD you will have to run CM
in scheme, which is more of a minimalist, academic language, rather than in
Common Lisp, which to me is much more practical and powerfull.

Well, I'm gonna try to sleep before the sun comes up. I'll probably have more
to say later today once I install guile CM and load it into PD.

Larry