[PD] Re: [PD-announce] k_guile v0.0.1

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Sun Jan 11 17:26:54 CET 2004

Frank Barknecht wrote:

>>Could anyone give some quick pointers on how to install Common Music
>>for guile (or at all) on Linux? Besides reading the SICP book I'm an
>>Lisp idiot and I even use Vim, not Emacs, so any pointers would be
>>welcome...

You can work with CM from vi just as easily as from emacs. Emacs has the
particular amenity of being able to evaluate your Lisp expressions from
within itself. You can do something similar with vi's shell command but
I'll recommend at least learning how to use xemacs. I did a lot of work
with Lisp in vi before I learned a little more about emacs. I still
prefer vi for writing but I like using emacs for  Common Music.

And Frank: Lisp is 'way cool, very easy to learn, you'll get used to it
quickly. You don't need to learn everything about the language to use
the Common apps, and if you have any background in another language
you'll find Lisp very straightforward to acquire.

Have fun !

PS: I'm interested to see what possibilities evolve from this Pd + CM
liaison...

Best,

== dp