[PD] Re: [PD-announce] k_guile v0.0.1

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jan 12 01:09:09 CET 2004

Hallo,
(now it's me not getting to bed ... ;)

Larry Troxler hat gesagt: // Larry Troxler wrote:
> On Sunday 11 January 2004 17:29, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Well, I do know Lisp a littly bit. Re: Micheal: The SCIP book, which I
> > read (first half only yet) is a seminal book in computer science fully
> > pronounced: "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs".  Full
> > text is online here: http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/ It uses Scheme as
> > example language.
> >

> Ahh, so you know Scheme, not Common Lisp. Although based on the same syntax
> and principles, they are quite different languages, with almost opposite
> goals. Scheme is a small, elegant teaching language, whereas Common Lisp is a
> very high level, full-featured, get-the-job-done-fast practical language.
>
> So don't write off the Lisp family of  languages altogether until you've
> tried, say, Common Music running in Common Lisp.

Just to make sure I haven't been misunderstood: I *am* very interested
in Lisp/Scheme, that's one reason I read the SCIP. And having learned
the basics and some in Perl (rest in peace), Python and C++ I guess
Lisp is something that would be natural to get to know next. Making
and understanding music always was one of my motivations for learning
to program. I won't write Lisp off.

Although I'm a bit surprised that I got so much encouragment here on a
Pd list! ;)

Anyways: as Lisp is soo old, it's sometimes difficult not to be
intimidated by achievments like Snd or Emacs, which are like mountains
one seems to need special gear for (the SCIP book is a mountain in
this regard, too). But then, Pd's not exactly lowlands as well.

So I'm glad for your and the others' hands-on tips. Thanks a lot.

ciao