[PD] Re: [PD-announce] k_guile v0.0.1

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Mon Jan 12 11:24:35 CET 2004

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Larry Troxler wrote:

> On Sunday 11 January 2004 11:36, Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen wrote:
> >
> > Hmm, are you sure its not easier to use metro or something?
> > It shouldn't be to hard to implement though.
> >

> Not to me, but then again, everyone's different, and with something so
> open-ended as PD, who knows, I could be the only person who misses a built in
> timer.
>
> Once I had scheme inside a PD box, I wanted to make sequencers, rhythm
> generators, etc.
>
> Sure, you could have an output of the scheme box be a delay time till the next
> trigger, but then you have to wire it through a [delay] and back to some
> input pin. I just personally found it worthwhile to implement internally,
> rather than having to go through this artificial external self-patching each
> time ., that's all. No big deal.

I thought about having a metro sending a bang to a k_guile object
to make a timer. Something like this:

(pd-inlet 0 'bang
          (lambda ()
             (set! time (+ time 1))))

(pd-inlet 0 'reset
          (lambda ()
             (set! time 0)))

But I agree something like this would be nice too:

(pd-delay 1000
          (lambda ()
             (pd-display "one second later")))