[PD] BEST HARDWARE COMPONENTS FOR PD ON LINUX?

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Tue Jan 13 16:04:55 CET 2004

Hi Rob,

rscanning at eircom.net wrote:

> processors: intel or amd - pentuim or athlon, celron etc.?

Be aware that PD has some unresolved issues with the P4 "denormal bug",
which causes massive CPU usage when floating point numbers get closer
and closer to infinitely small [i.e. during reverb or delay tails, etc].

Miller claims that the problem has been fixed in PD 0.37, but I find
that certain objects retain this behavior. Try running a decaying
feedback loop through a [hip~ 5], for example, to see it in action.

If I were to buy another computer, I would avoid a P4 for that reason.

best,
Derek

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl