[PD] Re: Old copy of Gem

IOhannes zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Tue Jan 13 16:50:28 CET 2004

Brad Kligerman wrote:
> hi/
>
> I'm looking for the file _../src/Base/configLinux.h_ that I need to
> compile _gem2pdp_. It seems that this file is no longer in the Gem
> package [Pd list
> <http://iem.kug.ac.at/mailinglists/pd-list/2004-01/009058.html>]. I
> tried to find an older copy of Gem that might still have this file at
> _ftp://ftp.iem.at/pd/Externals/GEM/OLD_  but was denied access. Can you
> help me either find the file or get access to this directory? Thanks.
>
> /brad.

no you got me wrong.

the file Base/configLinux.h is important only for *new* versions of Gem.
BUT: Base/configLinux.h is used for host-based configuration. thus it is
  *not* included in the CVS, but there is a file Base/configLinux.h.in
when you run the "configure"-script (in ./Gnu), a lot of information on
the system is gathered (e.g.: which libraries are installed). then the
file Base/configLinux.h is generated out of this information, based on
the file Base/configLinux.h.in

what you need is:
a recent version of the CVS (you already have this): "cvs up"
chdir to ./Gnu : "cd Gem/src/Gnu"
remove the config-cache (shouldn't be needed, but who knows?): "rm
config.cache"
re-run the configuration-process : "./configure" (with any flags you like)
the last line of the configure-process should read
"creating ../Base/configLinux.h" (if it was already there and the
configuration has stayed the same since the last time you ran configure,
you will get "../Base/configLinux.h is unchanged")

mfg.as.dr
IOhannes

ps: thanks for the hint, that ftp:/*/GEM/OLD/ has wrong permissions, i
have fixed this now