[PD] PD Realtime and Jack

J. Scott Amort jsamort at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 15 21:43:25 CET 2004

Hi,

I am having a problem running pd with both the -rt and -jack flags.  I
am running on a slightly modified Fedora PlanetCCRMA setup (the
modifications being adding xfs filesystem support to the 2.4.23.ll
kernel, upgrading pd to 0.37.1 cvs and jack to 0.94.1 cvs).  My audio
hardware is a M-Audio Delta 66.  Jack runs fine, and pd works with the
simple pd -jack command, but I experience a number of DIO errors (A/D/A
sync), mainly when moving/opening windows and or selecting menu items,
etc.  Running pd with the -rt flag seems to reduce these occurrences,
but if I run pd with both -rt and -jack, it locks up when I try to
produce any audio.  I have used both sudo and the suid root methods to
enable realtime support with pd, and both display the same behaviour.
This can be reproduced every time on my system by starting pd with -rt
and -jack, and then opening the test audio window, which causes a
lock-up.  Does anyone else experience this behaviour?  Is there a way to
reduce the DIO errors without the -rt flag (while still maintaining as
low an audio latency as possible)?  Thanks for any assistance.

Regards,

Scott