[PD] linux webcam for pd advise needed

Johannes Taelman j0 at advalvas.be
Thu Jan 15 23:49:01 CET 2004

hi,

For low-light environments, you should avoid CMOS-sensors, they make a
lot of noise. The common CCD-sensor USB webcams are the Philips PWC740
and the Logitech Quickcam pro 4000. They use the same driver, and have
similar image quality. I have the philips, but if I 'd buy again, I'd go
for the Logitech. The focus-lens-mechanics on the logitech is much more
stable than on the philips.

I recently saw that logitech announced an affordable motorized tilt+pan
webcam, don't know if that one is supported in linux (and if you can use
  the tilt+pan in linux).

Firewire could be better than USB, framerate x resulotion is really
limited, but I don't know if there is any affordable CCD/firewire webcam
with linux support.

For motion tracking in darkness, you may try using global infrared
lighting, or try attaching infrared LED's to the objects or subjects you
want to track. Remove the IR-block filter from the webcam, in both cases.

check http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/

regards,
Johannes