[PD] Routing PD audio on MacOSX

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jan 19 18:33:49 CET 2004

Hallo,
Adam Lindsay hat gesagt: // Adam Lindsay wrote:

> Frank Barknecht said this at Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:56:40 +0100:
>
> >But doesn't Soundflower do anything else than the Jack Tools from
> >http://www.jackosx.com/ ? Pd should be able to work out of the box
> >with the CoreAudio-Jack wrapper included in the Jack Tools, or doesn't
> >it?
>
> To be honest, I don't know. I was very interested when I heard about Jack
> Tools being released, but it's not very clear on what it does and how it
> does it. I've just installed it now (need to restart to test).
>
> The soundflower download is considerably smaller, so I have faith in it
> as a small, light shim, and I got it going with minimal effort. More
> choice can't hurt!

Well, as a Linux user, of course I am biased. I don't think, that
fragmentation in this area (sound output, routing between apps) will
benefit the general cause: more interoperability. I wished, that
Cycling and Matt would have put their efforts into making Jack run on
OS-X, instead of writing another software that basically does the
same, but is not as powerful (yet, maybe). I see Jack as one major
achievement of the Linux audio scene, that deserves more widespread
use in applications (although I still cannot use it very well with
Pd...)

ciao