[PD] Routing PD audio on MacOSX

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jan 19 23:36:36 CET 2004

Hallo,
Adam Lindsay hat gesagt: // Adam Lindsay wrote:

> That's what pleased me the most. Instant gratification. (I've since tried
> Jack Tools, and ran into the same problems others on the list have. Jack
> is clearly more powerful--it just doesn't work.)

That surely is the goal of Jack, too. I just see not much sense in
splitting the efforts here.

> There was a bit of work to be done to get Pd closer to the "Bam"
> usability point on the Mac, but that was fun in a sense. Hacking
> makefiles and twiddling code is interesting to a point (closer to user-
> space for me, personally), but needing to hack at every level (down to
> audio drivers) becomes a bit tiresome for some, and is simply beyond
> others' abilities.

True, true. This also appies to us from the "support team" here and
especially to the leader of the pack: if there are manymany sound-APIs
to support, things get more and more complicated. That's the main
selling point of Jack: It's (or intends to be) the high-end for both
OS-X and Linux. I'd wish, for Windows, too, but that seems to be quite
hard to achieve.

> Incidentally, when Jack Tools gets going more easily on MacOSX, looks
> like Soundflower will be compatible with it in that it provides another
> virtual device, and so more complex routings could be achieved between
> the two. (e.g. iTunes -jack-> SC3 -soundflower-> Pd -> dac)

You wouldn't need Soundflower for that, if Jack gets rid of the
remaining hassles. Jack was designed to allow any number of
applications to create any number of connections bettween them.
Personally I don't even use it that much, as I work almost exclusivly
in Pd. But I've seen wild setups with alsaplayer's output going to Pd
and from there to freqtweak while Ardour was recording and the
audience listening.

These things are far out.

ciao