[PD] Routing PD audio on MacOSX

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jan 20 02:35:10 CET 2004

Hallo,
guenter geiger hat gesagt: // guenter geiger wrote:

> I'll try it out asap. Can you send me your .pdrc, or is there a
> documentation on what externals and libraries the patch is using ?

The important ones are pool from current CVS and prepend from Cyclone
(not another one!). Except pool, which is too old there, every other
external is in your Debian packages, like knob, plugin~, etc. So I see
no special requirements.

You need to add all top level directories in the archive to your path,
so all abstractions get found.

> As jack has higher priority these things should not happen.
> e.g. you should get xruns, but no hangs. neither of pd nor jack.
> do they both just stop, or are there any messages ?

There are sometimes strange things happening. For example today Pd's
patch display was messed up after I switched virtual desktops to
provoke the hanging. Well, thinking about it, it might be the virtual
desktop switching, that is soo bad. (I do this a lot and it isn't
problematic with ALSA/OSS out.) Just now I tried to reproduce it. The
patch was running okay for some time, albeit a bit shakey in tempo,
but as soon as I switched desktops and back, I got this in the Pd
console:

bad option "creapdtk_pd_dio": must be addtag, bbox, bind, canvasx, canvasy, cget, configure, coords, create, dchars, delete, dtag, find, focus, gettags, icursor, index, insert, itemcget, itemconfigure, lower, move, postscript, raise, scale, scan, select, type, xview, or yview
watchdog: signaling pd...
watchdog: signaling pd...
watchdog: signaling pd...
watchdog: signaling pd...

This doesn't look like a Jack error... Pd running is 0.37-test3
almost official.

Jack at that time reported:

subgraph starting at pure_data_0 timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=12, status = -1086326264, state = Running)
client pure_data_0 error: awake_at = 143930029981 state = 2 timed_out = 0

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 11.342 msecs

which looks not unusual.

I'll surely have to and will do some more testing of the Pd
realtime/Jack combination. I normally don't use it much because of a
perceived instability here and I don't really "need" Jack.

ciao