[PD] Re: [PD-dev] SourceForge "Donations"

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Sun Jan 25 11:07:40 CET 2004

marius schebella wrote:

>it is good that Pd is free and open source, in that way there is no
>financial barrier to use it (only technical, ....) BUT: i still dont
>understand, why software should be free at all???

That's a good point. I have some code (i.e. externals) I don't want to
give away for free (because it took so much time to code them), but the
impression about the average Pd user one gets when reading the mailing
list suggest that selling closed-source Pd externals is something one
would get 'killed' for.
My solution was to switch to Max/MSP. There seems to be a completely
different attitute towards open-source among Max/MSP users. Nobody cries
"where is the source code?" in case I release an external without
sources and nobody complains when I decide to sell my stuff instead of
giving it away for free. But I also see the point that having to pay
500,- USD for Max is to much for some people. On the other hand I find
it a reasonable price because I know how much work it is to even support
such a big software.

Olaf