[PD] k_jack~ v0.0.2 (Re: [PD-announce] k_jack~ v0.0.1

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Sun Jan 25 17:47:31 CET 2004

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 gml at xs4all.nl wrote:

> I was thinking of making it into one lib, yes.
> The advantage would be that all jack externals are in one place. It could
> also be as seperate externals collected in one directory for the sources
> and one for the help-patches.
> Another thing is to have them al start with the same name. Mainly it is
> about userfriendlyness and to avoid double developments.

Yes, but k_jack~ and jackx does quite seperate tasks (doesn't they?).
Allthough they both can be used to connect jack clients, they do it
in different ways. k_jack~ makes a new jack port for each inlet or outlet,
while jackx just connects allready existing ports.

And regarding making it a lib, I don't think its very userfriendly to let
the user add "-lib <filename>" to the commandline when starting pd.

But it would be nice with an external that automaticly behave like
k_jack~ when needed, and jackx when needed: That is when the external
only connects two allready existing jack ports, to create some kind
of super jack patch bay external. But I don't really see how to do that in
practice.