[PD] Re: [PD-dev] SourceForge "Donations"

Ales Zemene ales at mur.at
Sun Jan 25 19:08:41 CET 2004

perhaps this discussion belongs to some of the open source
mailing lists, i believe it is not too different from similar problems
with similar software and  possible to categorize, that would make it
easier than spend lots of energy on reinventing licences and
marketing schemes ...

well, there is nothing to prevent you from building externals and
selling them, but personaly i think it will make PD more confusing,
(for most people it is allready difficult to find support...)
and somehow i cannot think about Pd as about any usual software,
it is about the way you work, supporting your own creativity is a basic.

the issue of open source software is not only economical question,
(selling software does NOT support innovation)
if you want to think about political consequences of selling software
without source code, and you think it right way, you will inevitably come
to the question :
"how to make innovative production and distribution work together ?"

conclusion :
open source seem to have found a way to do just that.
it is harder way, but it seems to be only one preferring quality and
creativity before money.
it looks like there are still places and organizations being aware of
this, it just takes a lot of work to apply for funds, residencies and
grants.

why don't you try to propose workshop here :
http://freebitflows.t0.or.at/

Ales Zemene

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, john saylor wrote:

> hi
>
> ( 04.01.25 10:08 +0100 ) marius schebella:
> > BUT: i still dont understand, why software should be free at all???
>
> http://www.gnu.org/gnu/manifesto.html
>
> > 2) making it unpossible to do illegal copies would give a totally new
> > view of the software/programmer/Pd/money problem.
>
> there are no illegal copies of pd.
>
> miller has been most generous in sharing what he built with everyone who
> wants it. and this has enabled other people to 'stand on his sholders'
> and add features. and these people have also shared what they build.
>
> imagine a world where instead of trying to turn everyone else into a
> revenue source, we try to help each other. we all benefit this way. it's
> hard to understand unless you do it yourself [give something away that
> is helpful to others].
>
> you may think i'm naive and dismiss my thoughts. that's your choice.

+  Ales Zemene         +
+  http://ales.mur.at  +
+  GSM +436769573397   +
+  ICQ 215971050       +