[PD] Jack and PD plus another question

thewade pdman at aproximation.org
Sun Jan 25 23:11:58 CET 2004

I dont know much about pd and jack, but I was told that if you run jackd as root then you have to run pd as root as well, and same for non-root, but it seems redundant to run pd in realtime and jack in realtime. if pd is connected tojack and jack is running in realtime, then shouldnt pd be inrealtime as well?

Heres what I do:
jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw:1 -r 48000 -p 2048
pd -jack

and it works for me with a USB M-Audio duo under ccrma linux.
Please excuse me if I dont know what the hell Im talking about...

I had another question though.
I also have an midiman midisport 2x2 and I followed the planet-ccrma nano-howto on setting it up and it looks like its runs, as the usb light fades in and out and the lights flash when the channels get midi info, but when I run pd -mididev X where X is the number of the midisport when I cat /proc/asound/cards I still get no midi. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help, and sorry if my previous post is of no help.

-thewade