[PD] audio I/O stuck immediately after running .37t6 in WinXP

enrike enrike at altern.org
Tue Jan 27 10:56:58 CET 2004

> As soon as I run Pd I get "audio I/O stuck... closing audio". This is
> just with the default MMIO audio on my laptop's soundcard. Haven't tried
> ASIO or anything else.

bad luck. As far as I understand this problem its caused by your
soundcard and there is no way to get rid of it totally. Its the same in
my laptop (a Compaq Presario 920 EA) and i have never managed to solve
it. However there are some things that should help a bit like:
format your HD as Fat32
Increase the -audiobuffer that PD uses
Defragment your HD

I noticed better performance after doing all this in my machine but I am
not sure why i just tested few things.
Also I have the feeling that doing a custom installation of windows
would be better than installing the Windows provided with the laptop. I
mean that for example my laptop came with a copy of windows and also
with an OS restore disk that contains a copy of windows + all the
customizations by the seller. My experience is that the machine will
works better if you install yourself windows. The first time I
reinstalled windows (and formated the HD to fat32) the machine worked
better than the first day when i bought it.

Another solution is to install linux and use PD under linux, this is the
best solution. Latency is much lower and it performs better.

best

--
enrike ::