[PD] Can anyone tell me not to buy a Quattro or a UA-20?

Dan Wilken cubis at comcast.net
Tue Jan 27 21:58:21 CET 2004

Thank you Frank for the upcoming testing. We look forward to reading
your results.

On Jan 27, 2004, at 2:37 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> Dan Wilken hat gesagt: // Dan Wilken wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to buy a sound-card. According to past posts on the list,
>> both the Midiman Quattro and the Ediroyal UA-20 seem like good options
>> with reliable Linux and OSX experiences. Has anyone had recent
>> experience to the contrary? Is there another 4 channel I'm
>> overlooking?
>
> The UA-20 isn't 4-channel.
I know, but it is cheaper.

> The Quattro doesn't seem to work currently
> with kernel 2.6. If you can wait a week: I will test 18 USB interfaces
> on Linux the next days, and I will report about this somewhere. I do
> have a Quattro, and it's working so-and-so.
>
>> Has anyone unplugged these during a performance and moved them to
>> another machine, leaving the original behind playing through the PCI
>> (or built in) card? Mac and Linux.
>
> Huh?

The most important channels for us in this performance are the INs.
Once tracks are recorded, I don't mind (too much) playing back through
built in audio.

As my machines seem to only be able to reach 100+- track playback (I'm
not complaining) (at 44100), I am thinking of getting the 100 tracks
recorded through the USB device, and moving it to the next machine.

That, or a network solution, mixing down on other machines and routing
the playback through the computer with nice sound (which I admit may be
a better solution).

>> Also, do either of these reduce CPU load? Do the PCI cards do this
>> more
>> effectively? Enough so to change my mind?
>
> PCI is much more efficient than USB (1.0).

But does it reduce CPU load, as in, might I be able to get more of my
tracks playing at once if I have a good PCI sound-card?