[PD] Can anyone tell me not to buy a Quattro or a UA-20?

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Jan 28 06:08:33 CET 2004

Chris Madak wrote:
> thanks for your input.  so far, i've heard nothing but good about the
> 828, so i suppose i'll be picking one up soon.  i agree with you about
> latency and dropouts on osx, as i've had similar experiences.  who
> knows, perhaps when i have time, i'll install knoppix plus agnula demudi
> on the ibook i use for live performance.  it's on the to-do list
> anyway...unless anyone can recommend a better linux distro for audio
> performance.

The other option is to pick up one of the new firewire devices eg. from
maudio.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=mobileinterfaces

All the input from the JACK developers says firewire devices will play
nicely. Once someone has one it will be more likely to get the ALSA
developers to write the support for it.... about an 18 month process of
testing in case you're keen ;]

> -chris
>
> On Tuesday, January 27, 2004, at 05:30 PM, Matthew Nish-Lapidus wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have the 828mn2 and I love it.. but PD for audio on OS X is not very
>> good.. you can't get latency under 15ms no matter what and there are
>> tons of dropouts for gui activity or loading files.  I had better luck
>> with latency in Windows and Linux... but I -love- the 828mk2..
>>
>> /*
>> Matt Nish-Lapidus
>>
>> www.ekran.org/mn-l
>> matt at ekran.org // mattn-l at rogers.com
>>
>> "What's this fish doing in my ear?"
>> */

>>> For that matter, does anyone have any advice on the Motu 828mk2 with
>>> pd, under os x and/or linux?
>>>
>>> -Chris

Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com
Http://www.djcj.org/LAU/guide/ - The Linux Audio Users guide
Http://www.djcj.org/gigs/ - Gigs guide Korea

Apparently upon the beginning of the barrage, the donkey broke
discipline and panicked, toppling the cart. At that point, the rockets
disconnected from the timer, leaving them strewn around the street.
Tethered to the now toppled cart, the donkey was unable to escape before
the arrival of U.S. troops.

United Press International
Rockets on donkeys hit major Baghdad sites

By P. MITCHELL PROTHERO
Published 11/21/2003 11:13 AM