[PD] PDP or GEM linux DV CAM

Franz Hildgen franz at sat.qc.ca
Wed Jan 28 16:59:10 CET 2004

Hello,

In GEM under Linux, you will need to use the "pix_video" object and send
a "driver 1" message. "driver 0" will use the analog capture card.

However you will need to modify the videoDV4L.cpp in order to make it
work because the path to the dv1394 use devfs and not dev. RIght now it
is in devfs : /dev/ieee1394/dv/host%d/%s/in, but if you use dev it
should be : /dev/dv1394.

The default formal is PAL and not NTSC.

Also I had to modify and a few lines to make it work on my linux redhat
9 laptop.

I can send a diff file if you want.

But the performance is rather sloppy, I'm not able to decode the DV in
realtime on a P4-M 2.2 GHz on a Dell Laptop.

franz hildgen