[PD] Re: [PD-dev] SourceForge "Donations"

marius schebella marius.schebella at chello.at
Thu Jan 29 09:49:55 CET 2004

> From: "Hans-Christoph Steiner"
> So you would take Pd and all of the contributions of so many people
> without paying, then feel justified in charging someone else for your
> additions to Pd?  The best way to 'pay' for Pd is contribute some of
> your own labor to it.

That is, how I read the BSD licence. If you program for fun and honor and
are not obtainig/taking any money, then why complain later, that someone
else is presuming upon your good nature...?

There is this contradiction, on the one hand people programming good stuff,
heroes of our times, giving their work away for free (...) and on the other
hand people, who also would like to support this great software product, but
cannot effort working for no money. The world is not a big communisitc
kibbuz, but rather an (american) slave market.

Of course I like the idea of free software, but there should be a modus to
pay people for their job. My first thought is to make Pd cost some bucks. My
second thought is a general pot for opensource software. Pd and all the
extensions have a worth, and to ignore that is stupid in my opinion.

Hmm, wait, ... biggest plus of Pd is its open source structure, I agree with
that. Everybody has the possibility to expand the software for his own
purposes. And I see the point, that if you put work into it, then why should
you pay anything...

f..., what a conclusion...

Marius.