[PD] low cost multichannel [4] soundcard for pd on linux?

Søren Bovbjerg sb at cvmt.dk
Thu Jan 29 21:10:36 CET 2004

dmotd wrote:
> soeren..
>  excuse my personal inquiry, but am wondering if you have achieved this
>  using digital outputs or analog (or a combination of both?).. i have
>  no digital equipment myself and have been struggling to work out how
>  to use the rear analog channels independent of the front - making at
>  least four independent analog channels (FL FR RL RR).
>  thanks for the advice..
> dmotd.

Well, There was no real magic to it. I was using analog outputs only on
a Mandrake 8.2 OS some time ago. I used the vanilla kernel drivers (NOT
ALSA!) and a standard mixer (like kmixer). The only problem I had was
that the front output had to be attenuated ~12dB because it is boosted
by the (analog) ac97 mixer.

If recall correctly there were some devices in dev called /dsp0 /dsp1
and /dspW which represented the 3 stereo outputs (on a Live 5.1, a non
5.1 model only has the two first stereo devices).

I do, however, also recall problems with rear outputs mirroring into the
front outputs, but that was way back with older driver versions and was
caused by an internal setting in the emu DSP, which was programmable and
set to mirror as default.

HTH
Soeren