[PD] PDP or GEM linux DV CAM

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jan 30 17:29:53 CET 2004

hi.

Yves Degoyon wrote:
> hi,
>
> yep, you're right, it's not directly compatible
> but i meant, a camera you can plug on a video 4 linux device
of course this works, but most people that spent their money on a DV-cam
want to use it directly, not via a/d/a/d conversion.

> ( http://home.t-online.de/home/gunther.mayer/bttv/bttv-gallery.html ).
> there's a nifty usb adaptor at the bottom of the page ( Provideo PV-321C ),
> i'd like to get one soon .
thanks for the link.
i was looking for a analog2usb converter before christmas and bought a
pinnacle pctv deluxe;
this is (of course) not supported by linux; and what is even better,
under windows the device can only(!) be accessed by the
pinnacle-software that comes with the product : pretty shitty

> this chapter is quite interesting for me because
> i must do a capture object for mac osx and there's no
> video 4 linux on OSX.
>
> so, Gem is supporting ie1394 capture on all platforms ?
it is well supported under windows (DirectShow) and macOS (QuickTime)
the support under linux i consider a bit - hmm - experimental.

> it is digital capture through firewire?

exactly

> does it work good or do you need a fast
> machine to cope with the bitrate ?

(continue to talk about linux)
it did work for me, although decoded frames sometimes turned out a bit
"digitally distorted" (well known when using "fast forward" on digital
devices)
it wasn't too bad but i guess you cannot "sell" it.

unfortunately i cannot remember when exactly i did my tests (this is
important since my motherboard died, and i know have a 2GHz AMD with a
lot of RAM while i had an 800MHz PIII before)

probably i'll redo the tests this weekend.

and since Franz obviously uses it, it should really work :-)

> we might do a pdp_ie1394 object,
> but what about usb cams then ?
> how do they work on OSX ?

on osX everything is  covered by the QuickTime-API,
so any camera should work.
(i don't how video/osX is implemented in pdp)

and of course, i didn't do the osX-part of the pix_video, so i might be
completely wrong.

mfg.as.dr
IOhannes