[PD] PDP or GEM linux DV CAM

cgc cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Fri Jan 30 18:45:59 CET 2004

On Jan 30, 2004, at 5:08 PM, Yves Degoyon wrote:

> c/ do a quicktime based capture object for OSX
> ( we will borrow some code from Gem, thanx ).

I would strongly advise you to read the QT docs on Sequence Grabbers
and components, as well as general QT conventions.  Although the code
is quite simple and QT takes all of the low level headaches out of
video capture, there are still many issues that you will run into.  One
is pixel format - QT supports most of the common FOUR CC ones, but you
might not be using one of them in pdp, and need to roll your own code.
Another is the various flags passed to SG calls that can drastically
affect both performance and quality of the video.  One hint about the
flags: they don't always do what they say especially when the
descriptor is something like 'high quality'.  Also, QT is designed to
run inside of a classic Mac type app with an specific event loop
structure, and not a Unix process like Pd.  This has brought me an
nearly unlimited amount of joy in the past while banging my head
against the QT API wall.

cgc