[PD] earning a living coding Pd

carmen ix at replic.net
Fri Jan 30 23:35:15 CET 2004

> Its not a market in the gallery/store sense so much, but I was just
> working at the Lille2004 festival and there was millions of Euros being
> spent on media art.  The whole festival budget is something like 100
> million Euros.  Some of the individual art groups had budgets well over
> 100,000 Euros.  I think Graz03 spent more last year.  That's where the
> market mostly is, grants, commissions, and festivals.

anything like this exist in the united states? it seems media-oriented arms of academic institutions and the like in the US have laregely shifted towards being eitger r&d grounds for corps working on projects that have near-term commercialization potential (not only 'medialab' type places but also indie filmmaking, beacuse once you get somethind good, theres nothing left for the corp to do besides distro/marketing..), or alternately, technical training w/ little emphasis on the creative aspect (fullsail type places for sound/video, or 3d-for-gaming/movies). dont want to sound pessimistic, but perhaps i just havent been looking in the right places..and of course to not veer completely off topic into whether euros see the value in supporting culture where american just sees the bottom line, pd would perhaps fit into this latter mindset due to its startup cost and ability to run just about anywhere..