[PD] Audio I/O stuck with both ALSA and Jack

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sat Jan 31 00:24:00 CET 2004

> I am still trying to use PD with the HDSP 9632 audio card in linux.  Everytime
> I started PD with the card in linux it would not open. I kept getting an audio
> I/O stuck message when trying to start PD in linux. As suggested I tried it with
> ALSA and jack with the commands:
>
> pd -alsa
> pd -jack

Did you start jack before? If you are using the Planet CCRMA kernels (or
another kernel with capabilities enabled) then you should be able to do
something like this:

jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100

(or 48000, that will start jack with the default of two buffers of 1024
frames each). That should start the jack server (you can also use the
qjackctl gui for that).

After jack is up and running try:
  pd -jack

> [lspmc at d68h203 lspmc]$ /sbin/lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> snd-hdsp               48076   0
> snd-pcm                87264   0 [snd-hdsp]
> snd-page-alloc          9876   0 [snd-hdsp snd-pcm]
> snd-hwdep               7104   0 [snd-hdsp]

These two modules:
> i810_audio             29048   0
> ac97_codec             17224   0 [i810_audio]
are part of OSS, not ALSA, so probably you still have your OSS
configuration in /etc/modules.conf in addition to your ALSA config.
Could you post your /etc/modules.conf?

-- Fernando