[PlanetCCRMA] Re: [PD] Audio I/O stuck with both ALSA and Jack

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sat Jan 31 00:59:57 CET 2004

> |         I am still trying to use PD with the HDSP 9632 audio card in
> linux.  Everytime I started PD with the card in linux it would not open.
> I kept getting an audio I/O stuck message when trying to start PD in
> linux. As suggested I tried it with ALSA and jack with the commands:
> |
> | pd -alsa
> | pd-jack
> |
> | The error read as follows: using non-interleaved audio input
> | Sample width set to 4 bytes
> | ALSA: set input channels to 4
> | snd_pcm_hw_params_set_access (output): Invalid argument
> | using non-interleaved audio
> | alsa: set output channels to 4
> | audio I/O stuck... closing audio
>
> I've got a similar error also with a kernel 2.6, posted a few days ago
> but no one here was able to help... let's see how we do this time.
>
> My error was a little different though, my audio I/O doesn't become
> because I don't get that far, your pd seems to decide he should use
> *non-interleaved audio*,

That is because the RME card only works in non-interleaved mode.

> mine asserts he cannot continue due to not
> being able to use *interleaved audio*. Here's my output
>
> <snip>
> $ pd -alsa -nogui
> snd_pcm_hw_params_set_access (input): Invalid argument
> Sample width set to 2 bytes
> pd: pcm.c:1101: snd_pcm_readi: Assertion `pcm->access ==
> SND_PCM_ACCESS_RW_INTERLEAVED' failed.
> Pd: signal 6
> Aborted
> </snip>

That looks like a bug in alsa itself for your particular soundcard...
or for the way that pd is trying to access it. What hardware do you
have? Are you using the alsa kernel modules that come with 2.6.1? Those
are a little out of date (I think)...

-- Fernando