[PD] A newbie needs first aid!

Pall Thayer palli at pallit.lhi.is
Tue Feb 3 19:28:49 CET 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> Rory Walsh hat gesagt: // Rory Walsh wrote:
>
> > If you only want to use Gem and not framestien,
>
> for example, because Framestein only seems to run on Windows...
>
>  If I was a teacher, I would love my students to go out,
> find experts, speak to them and learn from them. Not all knowledge is
> buried at schools and colleges. So unless they just rip off someone
> else's work and pretend it's their own, this should be fine, even
> encouraged.

I am a teacher and encourage my students to go out and seek information
themselves. Of course, if they manage to find someone who is willing to do
ALL the work for them, that's pretty sad. People should understand that
you're not really helping a student if you provide them with what they
should do themselves. The right thing to do is simply point them in the
right direction, tell them what externals they may need, where to find
them and where they can find information that may help them to accomplish
whatever they're doing.

pall

--
Pall Thayer