[PD] second monitor for GEM

tdunstan at ihug.com.au tdunstan at ihug.com.au
Tue Feb 10 01:14:22 CET 2004

IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> this sounds a bit to complicated to me.simpler:start pd like normalcreate the
> gemwindow on "another" display with an argument to the create-message:
> [create localhost:0.1(

hi thanks for the reply. i tried this but all i got was....

watchdog: signaling pd...
error: GEM: could not open X display localhost:0.1
Creating on display localhost:0.1
watchdog: signaling pd...
watchdog: signaling pd...
watchdog: signaling pd...
error: GEM: Could not open display localhost:0.1
error: GEM: Unable to create window
error: GEM: gemwin: no window made

could there be a problem with my XFree86config file. should i use the nvidia
twinview option instead of multiheadlayout? i attached my xfree config file just
in case

> also, when running a fullscreen Gem window, is their a optimal resolution?

depends on your hardware (vga-beam, tv-beam)if you use "dimen" to set the
dimension, fullscreen will try to set this resolution first and falls back to
the current resolution of your display if it doesn't succeed:e.g. [dimen 640
480, fullscreen 1, create( sets the resolution of the display to 640x480 (even
if the XF86Config says 1024x768) and creates the window at this resolutione.g.
[dimen 500 500, fullscreen 1, create( will most likely fail to set the display
resolution to 500x500 and thus the windows will have a resolution of 1024x768

mfg.a.dsr
IOhannes