[PD] .pdrc??

Martin Peach martinrp at vax2.concordia.ca
Tue Feb 10 17:27:35 CET 2004

tdunstan at ihug.com.au wrote:
 > just been reading a few docs on pd and a couple of times it has been
mentioned
 > to "put it in your .pdrc file". i'm kinda, sort of, new to linux but
i assume
 > its some sort of launching device. could someone please explain to me
how i use
 > it and perhaps an example.
 > thanks
 > tom

Under linux files with names starting with '.' are 'invisible', in that
they don't show up when you do 'ls'. If you do 'ls -a' then you will see
them. Usually these files are used to store user preferences for various
programs. The file '.bashrc' contains things that control how your shell
behaves when you open a terminal window. '.pdrc' can contain things like
   the path that pd searches for libraries.
 From a search for 'pdrc' in files in my pd-0.37-0/src/,
in the function
int sys_rcfile(void)
in the file
s_path.c,
it loads the file pdrc into a buffer and then calls the function
int sys_argparse(int argc, char **argv)
in the file
s_main.c,
which is the same function that parses a command line.
So basically it just reads '.pdrc' as though it was a command line, but
you can probably put the parameters on separate lines for legibility and
ease of editing.
You can type pd --help for a list of available parameters.

Martin