[PD] pd -jack alsa - pd crash needs reboot

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Feb 12 19:03:20 CET 2004

Hallo,
rob canning hat gesagt: // rob canning wrote:

> i am running pd 0.37.0 as root with the latest kernel from
> planetccrma with -jack using Qjackctl as user - i am using alsa
> 1.0.1 with a hdsp card on RH.9  P4 2.6 with 2gigs of dual channel
> ram
>
> jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw:0 -r 44100 -p 1024 & (or somthing like that)

If you run as root (generally *not* a good idea) then you don't need
to use jackstart!

> pd -rt -jack
>
> whenever i use the plugin~ 0.2 (LADSPA) external, the smallest thing
> (select all- drag)

This is not that small a thing to do for Pd.

> causes pd to crash and the only way it will
> restart is by doing a reboot.
>
> i just tried without plugin~ and get the same thing though plugin~
> does seem to like to crash my system quite easily..
>
> here is the last jack error:
>
> subgraph starting at pure_data_0 timed out (subgraph_wait_fd=24, status = 0, state = Running)
> client pure_data_0 error: awake_at = 663526372 state = 2 timed_out = 2
> **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 11.868 msecs
> 13:32:56.712 Audio connection graph change.
> 13:32:56.712 XRUN callback. (4)
> 13:32:56.837 Audio active patchbay scan...
>
> i can't restart pd with either -jack (with the jack server running)
> or -alsa (with the jack server off) unless i reboot

Is there still a pd running somewhere? Check with "ps aux".

> sometimes i get the audio in/out stuck - closing error sometimes but
> mostly the watchdog: signaling pd error just keeps appearing

Do you run the latest test version from Miller's site? I would
recommend doing this. Also in s_inter.c try to change this line in
sys_set_priority:

	p3 = (higher ? p2 - 1 : p2 - 3);

to be that:

    // p3 = (higher ? p2 - 1 : p2 - 3);
	p3 = (higher ? p1 + 3 : p1 + 1);

instead, and in s_audio_jack.c find (around line 60) this:

	} else { /* PD could not keep up ! */
		 if (jack_started) sys_log_error(ERR_RESYNC);

and throw out the sys_log_error like:

	} else { /* PD could not keep up ! */
	     // don't call log_error in jack process:
		 // if (jack_started) sys_log_error(ERR_RESYNC);

then recompile. This once did wonders here for letting Pd
coexist with Jack.

ciao