[PD] PDa and PDA audio

Marc Lavallée odradek at videotron.ca
Wed Feb 18 00:04:23 CET 2004

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 11:20:32PM +0100, guenter geiger wrote:

> Recording sound on handhelds is very dependent on where you write
> it too. Flash is terribly slow, so you would have to write it to
> the ramdisk, and then copy it to flash.

Unless the goal is to record short samples, the ramdisk would get full
very quickly. A good solution would be to compress while recording at low
sample rate (22050/mono), in order to write to a removable media. But
encoding is usually very cpu intensive for small cpus with only integer
math, and there might be no encoder that uses integer math like some
decoders do (Mad for mp3 and Tremor for Vorbis and Flac for Flac...).
Actually, I'm not sure about the Flac format; does it encode using integer
math, like decoding?

--
Marc