[PD] PDa and PDA audio

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Wed Feb 18 01:10:21 CET 2004

Hi all,

Thanks again for all the great suggestions. Espc the link to the test of
Ecasound compiled for PDA.

Marc Lavallée wrote:

> Unless the goal is to record short samples, the ramdisk would get full
> very quickly. A good solution would be to compress while recording at low
> sample rate (22050/mono), in order to write to a removable media.

Actually, the goal *is* to record very short samples. Perhaps the best
solution would be script the PDA to record samples with the max time
allowed by the RAM disk, then transfer them to Flash when the recording
is complete.

Unfortunately, what I aim to do involves binaural recording, so every
little bit of psychoacoustic audio info is important! So heavy
compression or mono sound is out-out-out. Maybe Lame with something like
a VBR maxing at 192 would be OK, to extend the max recordable time in
the RAM. Which of course leads me to think about how well Lame runs on a
PDA, and whether it is efficient to encode directly before writing to RAM.

Just to be sure: in encoding, how big a block is written to RAM before
compressing? Or rather, how much RAM would need to be free as overhead
using this scheme? Perhaps this is configurable? I will check the Lame
command-line arguments. Or am I making a wrong assumption about the
encoding process?

Best,
Derek

--