[PD] pd+makeup

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Wed Feb 18 02:51:35 CET 2004

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Matthew Nish-Lapidus wrote:
> I might be alone in this..

You are not alone. Thats why this "eye - catchy" - (no offense, actually I
think it would be great if all of these great ideas could be included, but
it is more a organisational issue) - improvements are not made.

pd has issues everywhere, especially regarding sound hardware. thats the
price you have to pay when being cross platform.

on linux alsa is hard to program, jack is constantly changing binary
compatibility, portaudio doesn't support different input/output channels,
problems with blocksizes and usb devices, dozens of API's and and and ...

there are so many option that it is easy to miss the "right one".
Finally I think that pd is perfectly usable on most OSX
installations, it just depends if you get it right. My experience from
workshops is that it doesn't work everywhere. Even OSX has its version
issues ..

Guenter