[PD] pd+makeup

Alexandre Castonguay acastonguay at artengine.ca
Wed Feb 18 00:25:28 CET 2004

Hi all,

I think that segmented cords, buttons and other gui enhancements have their
place.  Others will work on improving other parts of pd but that should not
mean stopping creative work when it happens?  Of course, the changes should
be optional so everyone can have it their own way.

When I was migrating from jMax to pd, I found myself at a bit of a loss a
first when confronted to the stark look of puredata.  I now appreciate its
simplicity and I am learning to encapsulate and clean up my patches.  From my
experience in both, I can attest that that bad patch design is quite
independent from the look of the GUI ;-).

For new users that do not mastered the shortcuts, and want a taste of what
puredata is like, having something more visual like the button bar would be
welcome.  Curved or segmented patch cords can also help the readability of a
patch when it is inevitable to have lines crossing objects.

I'd really like to see these changes happen, otherwise what would we do with
these news icons we're working on?

Cheers,

Alexandre