[PD] pd+makeup

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 18 10:27:21 CET 2004

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Marc Lavallée wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 05:29:49PM -0500, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> > Oh, but they _are_ segmented now. I hope you'll have enough indirect
> > lines with this to be fully satisfied. Witness by yourself at:
> > 	http://artengine.ca/gridflow/gallery/segmented.gif
> Would it possible to move and rearrange the lines at any angles?
> Most "segmented lines" freaks won't like your messy example...

Most humourless freaks won't get the joke... :-}

No, they are not movable, it's made from randomly generated positions, and
they change positions every time you reopen the patch, or even just
unminimize it. (!!!)

Which brings the question whether the segmentation should be automatic or
manual. If it's manual, it has to be saveable, So I guess it would look
like:

#X connect 2 0 5 0 <x> <y>;

or:

#X connect 2 0 5 0 <x1> <y1> <x2> <y2> ... <xn-1> <yn-1>;

(for a n-segment line)

or other similar schemes. OTOH I have a penchant towards automatic
placement. My friend Xavier suggested what is IMHO the Right thing, that
is, automatic placement is default, and then you can override with manual
placement on a wire-by-wire basis. What I haven't decided yet is whether
the drawing algorithm would take manually-placed wires into account when
computing the other wires (I can vaguely imagine some frustrating
situations if it actually did, but I'd have to try it).

In either case, Pd can have a menu-option like "show segmentation" on/off.

Btw, in my version (let's call it Impure Data), the patchcords are being
drawn by a Tcl procedure, which allows one to customize patchcord style
without recompiling.

Who wants animated patchcords? 8-]