[PD] list of all objects

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Feb 19 17:13:03 CET 2004

On Monday, Feb 16, 2004, at 15:45 America/New_York, Mathieu Bouchard
wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
>> Well, you could get a simple list of Pd objects by just looking at,
>> which .pd_linux, .pd_darwin or .dll files are in the directories of
>> your Pd-path. This would not cover libraries, though, but many
>> objects, at least from CVS, aren't in libraries. It could also be
>> possible, but probably slow, to write some function for Pd, which
>> scans all external/library files for the X_setup functions that create
>> the objects. Isn't Max doing something like this?
>
> This wouldn't work, as Flext/GridFlow/Pyext/etc don't use setup
> functions
> the stereotypical way. However, Pd holds a list of all classes, so
> that it
> can invoke the right constructor upon object creation. That list is
> used
> by Pd in the following:
>
> 	http://artengine.ca/gridflow/gallery/class_list.gif
>
> If you click on "File" then "Class List" and you will have a list of
> all
> loaded classes.
>
> I think this requires Pd 0.38 though.

But I don't think that this method would take into account objects that
aren't part of libraries, since they aren't loaded at all until they
are actually instantiated, unlike the object libraries which are loaded
when Pd starts.  So it would really be just a list of all loaded
objects, then you could combine it with all objects in pd/extra to get
the complete list.

____

                     There is no way to peace, peace is the way.
										-A.J. Muste