[PD] strings and negative numbers ia OSC

enrike enrike at altern.org
Thu Feb 19 19:49:04 CET 2004

hi

I am passing to PD few strings via OSC like
/blah mystring

How can I check the value of the string?
I was using the select object like this
select mystring myotherstring

but PD doesnt like it . It says that select is not a method for the
argument i pass. I tried to pass the string as a symbol by sending
"symbol mystring" with same negative result.

i am sending the OSC messages from macromedia director via Python
(thanks to xPython xtra for director).

I have also problems with negative numbers. If I pass -1 for example PD
gets some ridiculous number like 4.29497e+009. i am not sure if this is
the representation of a negative number and then i need to translate it
or if this is an error. I am not sure if the problem is from PD, Python
or director.

suggestions?

thanks!

Then