[PD] PD + Processing

Pall Thayer palli at pallit.lhi.is
Fri Feb 20 01:14:30 CET 2004

I don't know much about OSC. Nothing really. I also haven't tried making PD
send something to proce55ing yet but here are a couple of things I can tell
you. Making proce55ing talk to PD is simple, mainly because netreceive is a
listening socket, waiting for connections. One of the main things to keep in
mind is that you have to manually terminate any message sent with a
semi-colon. For instance:

netWrite("55"); //will not work because PD doesn't know that the message is
finished and it's now supposed to do something with it.

netWrite("55;"); //will work.
netWrite(myVar + ";"); //will work.

Another thing that complicates matters is that proce55ing seems to have
problems with keeping sockets open. If you open a socket, send something and
then try to send something else, you run into all sorts of problems. If you
open a socket, send something, close it and then open another for the next
message etc. It's OK. I don't know how this will go over on a real network
however.

After trying for quite some time to send data from PD to proce55ing, I've
come to the conclusion that there's a problem there with the terminating
character. Proce55ing doesn't appear to realize when PD has finished its
message. This is based on the fact that if I connect (no problems there) and
then send a message, proce55ing won't let me disconnect. However, if I
connect and then disconnect without sending anything, proce55ing will
display a message stating that the client has disconnected.

So there, that's what I know about it.

Pall Thayer
artist/teacher
Fjolbrautaskolinn vid Armula