[PD] gem/video

cgc cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Fri Feb 20 17:51:10 CET 2004

On Feb 20, 2004, at 4:49 AM, Achim Wollscheid wrote:

> hi list...

Hi Achim!

> still fighting with pix-video... (not really successfully... tried
> with Win 2000 and XP with different video cards on different computers
> - the render window just does not want to display a decent picture...
> ) Is there any info about system requirements (meaning video/TV card
> and/or Win version?

The first thing that comes to mind is how does your video capture
device work in other programs?  If other apps don't give a satisfactory
picture then it's most likely a driver issue or perhaps even faulty
hardware.  Otherwise, if only GEM is giving poor results then pix_video
is either using the video API incorrectly or just using the wrong one
to begin with.  Can you post a screenshot of the video you are getting
right now and also the patch?

In my limited Windows video capture experience, I found that XP has the
most drivers available now for consumer level cards.  Which device are
you using?  Most boards actually use one of a few available chips to do
the digitizing and the drivers for the common ones are definitely out
there for XP.

The video device driver also has to link into a Windows API, and the
current CVS version of GEM has a Microsoft DirectShow compatible
pix_video which should support a wide range of devices.  Here's a build
that should have this object included:

http://gem.iem.at/download/gem-bin-0.888pre1.zip

>  Also - which pd version is recommended?

0.37 is what most everyone is using now, and it works pretty well with
GEM.

> Any help/support/comment is much appreciated...

Sure, anytime.

Chris